Just enough pressure to avoid dust from coming into the application. In this blog post, we are asking these gaskets to seal from dust, and not exactly anything else but still maintain integrity for the duration of the applications life.
Materials that are Typically Selected for Dust Gasketing
When selecting a dust gasket there are a few attributes we are looking for.
A. Easy compression by being either closed, open cell sponge/foam.
B. Good physical properties, compression set can be a real concern because oftentimes the applications are opened, and closed often.
PORON is a great choice for dust gasketing. This is for number of reasons. However, there are two main reasons that I select PORON first when someone asks me about a dust gasket.
- It has an open cell structure that allows it to be easily compressed. This also allows it to take up minimal space, or maximum space in the application. PORON comes in a number of thicknesses, and has a well controlled tolerance for a material that is expanded.
- It has been tested extensively. Every PORON that is available has been tested, and has proven results that make it worthy for many applications.
-Silicone Foam, Sponge
To pick a few commercially available products:
HT-800 Medium Silicone Foam by Rogers
R10480S (Soft) Closed Cell Silicone Sponge by Saint Gobain
Why do Silicone Foam, or Sponge make a good dust gasket?
- It has a closed cell structure, also making it compressible.
- It has good environmental properties, good temperature range, low compression set, good UV resistance, and more- making it extremely reliable in demanding applications.
I say Neoprene Blends, because typically they are multiple types of polymers blended with Neoprene. These include:
-Neoprene/PVC/Nitrile – Soft, Medium, Firm
Reasons to use Neoprene Blends:
- The properties/cost ratio is terrific. Oil Resistance, Flammability, Temperature range, and physical properties are mixed like a cocktail in these blends.
- Good compression (CFD) ranges due to their inherent closed cell structures.
Common Applications where Dust Gaskets are Required
-Electronics, portable, modular, IP5X, and IP6X-
-Touch panels, such as on wall panels, or tablets
-HVAC(my furnace has a PORON gasket if anyone was curious)
-Clean rooms, ISO 8(100,000 particles) and below. FED-STD-209 gasketing
More Information/Adhesive Tapes
At NEDC, we die-cut, and waterjet custom gaskets out of sheet stock materials. As with many gaskets, NEDC can apply adhesive backing to make them stick easier for ease of assembly in the application. For more information, please contact email@example.com.